Plan your holiday
Südtirol

Moos Castle and Wiesenheim Palace in Wiesen

General description

The first written testimony of Moos Castle in Wiesen is dated 1325. In 1950 the South Tyrol Winegrowers Association purchased the castle and restored it. Since then it has been used as a retirement home for the elderly. The first written testimony of Moos Castle in Wiesen is dated 1325. It was then owned by the Trautson family, although it changed hands many times in later years. We owe the current state of the castle to the restoration commissioned by Christoph Geizkofler in around 1600. Moos Castle is not one of the classical castles of the Tyrolean highlands; it was rather effectively defended by the "Sterzinger Moos" [Swamp of Sterzing], which extended to the east until it reached Wiesen. In the XIX century the condition of the building was cause for concern. In 1950 the South Tyrol Winegrowers Association purchased the castle and restored it, without changing its original character. Since then it has been used as a retirement home for the elderly. Wiesenheim Palace, which is now the City Hall, stands beside the castle, with its distinctive corner tower and bow window. In the surrounding area there are many such palaces, which once belonged to ancient guilds and owners of customs rights.

Contact
Trautsonstraße 190
39049 Prati/Wiesen
Not opened to the public: yearlong
Back to overview