The Tower of the Twelve - The Municipal Tower in Vipiteno/Sterzing
Measuring a total 46m in height, the municipal tower in Sterzing is known as the “Tower of the Twelve”. It marks the northern border between the new and the old centre. The tower was built between 1468 and 1472 and it seems that the Duke Sigmund of Tyrol laid the cornerstone in person. Following the fire that destroyed the upper part of the tower in 1867, the previous pitched roof was replaced with a pinnacle front. The “Tower of the Twelve”, which was the seat of the fire brigade, is considered the symbol of the city.